Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 5: Goodbye Chicago!

It's funny, I'm writing this as it's my last day of Spring Break in Boston (again). In one week I've been to Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Canada. And as I write my last day in Chicago I can feel the remorse of finishing a trip double time. Traveling is truly my passion and I can't stop but think how fortunate I am. I'm very lucky to have the capabilities to travel like I do. I have an amazing family who supports my dreams and great friends that make trips worth taking! So, to those who read this, I hope that you take a trip soon and see the world, I think you'll be surprised how "at home" you can feel when your bed is thousands of miles away...Without further ado... the summation of Chicago!
Our flight was late in the afternoon so we took off to look around Chicago on foot. We walked past the old Marshall Fields shop that is now known as Macys. The company began earlier in the 1800s but bought this particular location after the Great Chicago Fire in 1887! The lure of Macy's dresses and a century-old shopping area brought me inside and wow, I wasn't expecting 10 stories of heavenly shopping goodness! My suitcase was already full and heavy but it got a BIT more heavier and a BIT more full. :) I got some great clothes though....
We stopped at Macy's on our way to Daley Plaza. This is one of the architectural highlights because of the huge Picasso sculpture there. It's a popular place to take a lunch break and lots of people playing about.
Chicago is such an artistic city. This piece was around the corner from Daley Plaza in front of the Thompson Center. This sculpture by Jean Dubuffet was really neat. Then we decided we wanted one last taste of Chicago-style pizza so I looked up my suggestions from 101 Chowdown Countdown from the Travel Channel. I had heard of Lou Malnati's from the Travel Channel, in different shows, etc. As we walked there we found this cute little set-up of a farmers market. I got a peach :) I like supporting local businesses... Not that one peach counts but it was something!
Close by we found Lou Malnati's. Deep dish pizza!!
The picture actually doesn't do any justice to how good the pizza was. I LOVE tomatoes so I loved it but I can see how others might not. The crunchy crust was sooo good. (I think we definitely voted Giordano's our favorite though...)
And we walked back to our hotel that was holding our bags. Got on our flight (with ease) back to Houston and were soon home. My last trip for the summer was super fun. So glad Heather and I went!!

No comments:

Post a Comment