Monday, August 2, 2010

Galveston Trip

Well, after I got back from Colorado I headed to hang out with my friend/Assistant Principal Stephanie. I met her in Galveston at her family's beach house. It's an amazing place.
First, we were starving so we ended up eating at this Lil Mexican Restaurant. It was really good. I love me some chimichanga!
Then, we took off to find all the trunk art. After Hurricane Ike there were hundreds of dead oak trees. It was so sad to see Galveston get rid of them, historical, 100 years old or older. So, this local artist started turning them into works of art. This house has the Memorial imprinted on its oak tree. Lately, they are getting MAJOR publicity in articles and news. It's an amazing project. Enjoy the others we drove around and found...
Mr. Squirrel...
The owl...
Lots of cranes...but it fits Galveston perfectly, known for their birding trails too.
Mermaid....
The TIN MAN!! Isn't that amazing?!? Carved out of the dead oak tree...
My FAVORITE....the yellow lab!!!
Dolphins and mermaid.....
Angels holding a rabbit I believe is what it says in the article...
In the backyard of this Inn is an angel holding a rabbit. It was actually a Bunny Sanctuary! Since I own a (LARGE) rabbit and Stephanie loves her just as much as I do, we had to go into the Bunny Sanctuary.
The angel holding the bunny...
AND we saw the real bunnies in the backyard!!
Then we went to The Strand and did some shopping. I found a 50 tiara for my mom's bday party but other than that I was good. We stopped into La King's Soda Shop and I got a caramel frappe. Yummm

Candy.......so tempting.

Ike's aftermath....Ok, yes, I'm short but ...that's pretty amazing how high the water line was. I'm so glad that Galveston looks as good as it does. I'm so thankful to still be able to shop around and walk The Strand.

No comments:

Post a Comment