Tuesday, December 28, 2010

LONDON!!!!

Alright, so Day 1 was a DISASTER, leaving me in TEARS but it's all worth it for these photos...

So, first, after unloading my things at the Hilton I took the Heathrow Express into Paddington Station in London. Amazing, really but quite expensive. I was hoping to take the Tube but the workers are on strike at the moment.
I've always heard of this! It was fun seeing it and hearing it for the first time.
After I got to Paddington Station I decided to walk around. The streets reminded me alot of New York City.
Heading to Hyde Park I saw my first telephone booths!!!
The fountains were all iced over at Hyde Park. It was too daunting and I really wanted to see the "sights" so I didn't stay very long.
The river wasn't quite frozen over...
And then I saw my first double decker bus!!
I took the bus towards Westminster Abbey and the route goes through Piccadilly Circus, the main shopping area. Well #1 Boxing Day is ALWAYS the busiest shopping day of the year and #2 the sales tax is rising to 20% in January so EVERYONE was out shopping. It was complete chaos. And without the tube running everyone was on the bus. It was absolutely CRAZY.
Piccadilly Circus
And an hour and a half later I was at BIG BEN!!!!!!!!!!!
Westminster Abbey acoss the street!!
Houses of Parliament!
Love these photographs, lol I probably took 50.
Houses of Parliament with the tree in the courtyard.
Umm not sure what this is lol but good shot, eh?
The Houses of Parliament were just as beautiful. Couldn't stop taking photos...
St Mary's Cathedral connected to Westminster or apart of it...whatever...
Westminster close up...It was closed because it was Sunday :(
Again lol
Didn't know that the London Eye was right beside Big Ben til I headed back to it!
London eye!! Then I wondered back to Trafalgar Square that we passed on the bus. Decided to get a bite to eat here. I think this is the equivalent to Chili's. They had everything.
I was in London, so I got the fish and chips :)
I'll get back to you on this, it's in my travel book and maps at Trafalgar Square.
Did some souvenir shopping!
My favorite find!!!! Think it's a restaurant. Might have to go back if I go into town on Friday.
Got SOOOOOOO freakin lost on the bus!
The bus ended and dropped me in front of the Albert Memorial. Little info from Wikipedia: "The Albert Memorial is situated in Kensington Gardens, London, England, directly to the north of the Royal Albert Hall. It was commissioned by Victoria of the United Kingdom,Queen Victoria, in memory of her beloved husband, Albert, Prince Consort, Prince Albert, who died of Typhoid in 1861. The memorial was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic Revival style. Opened in July 1872 by Queen Victoria, with the statue of Albert ceremonially "seated" in 1875, the memorial consists of an ornate canopy or pavilion containing a statue of the prince facing south. The memorial is 176 feet (54 m) tall, took over ten years to complete, and cost £120,000 (the equivalent of about £10,000,000 in 2010)."The inside of the double decker buses are just the same.....Spice Girls Movie, what a let down! LOL But eventually I got back to the Hilton with MANY transfers on the same L2 ticket (my bad). Post more later!!!!! Hopefully will have Internet in my ROOM TOMORROW! In Chester

No comments:

Post a Comment