Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 14: Essex, CT

Today is the two week mark. Wow, I've been gone for two whole weeks. I must be outta money. Good thing payday is on its way! Well, today I was in Essex, CT. It's right off the Connecticut River so more beautiful scenery. In fact, I just spent some time by the dock reading and talking to Mom. Very peaceful here. No fast food. No traffic lights. It's like a whole other world. I started my trip to Essex at The Griswold Inn, opened since 1776. They have a famous Sunday Hunt Brunch which I ate at. The waffle station was my favorite :) I'm also staying here tonight.
Then I walked down to the Connecticut River Museum. As you can almost tell it's right on the water.
Apart of the museum was the Mary E, a schooner boat. I chose to get the more expensive ticket so I could ride on my first sail boat. I was really excited because it said it went all over the river and it said it was an hour and a half. Well, we didn't use the motor other than to get up to the dock and out....and the wind wasn't really blowing....so we kind of went out into the river and came back. I could see the museum at all times. So, note to self, sail around the world in a MOTORIZED boat.
However, the views were great and the weather was a perfect 75-80 degrees.
Then I walked up and down Main St looking at the not-so-many shops. Most of them were real-estate companies haha.
But I did find.....ESSEX BOOKS :)
Then I walked back towards the museum and water and got some coffee here. I took my book and walked to the water and just sat and read and relaxed, remembering what vacation was reallllly about!
And here's where I stay tonight. You can actually see my room with the lights on in the top left-hand corner. There's a band playing in the bar down below so I'm just sitting in bed, listening to music and blogging. Not bad for a Sunday night. Tomorrow I'm going on my first Steam Train and River Boat. And I told Mom today I'll probably head back to Texas around July 2-3. I've been making reservations and they're annoying to set up at these little inns. I'm starting to get that spark back, too, to get some school stuff done this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment