Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 2: Slidell, LA

Today was a bussssy day for me! It started at 9:00 with the best breakfast I've had in a long time. It was amazing to walk downstairs and orange juice and water were waiting just for me. :) This is NOT good for my ego. :p

After breakfast, I called to make my reservation for the swamp tour. The tour was at 2:00 but with the drive and early arrival I only had a few hours. In that time I thought I'd go over to Mandeville to see their downtown shopping area but I don't think it existed...I did, however, find the post office and mailed off my super secret Cirque du Soleil gift ;) While looking for this non-existent downtown I came up on the Mandeville Trailhead. There were kids playing in the water fountains as well as an outdoor theatre and a mini-museum.

The trailheads are a part of the mysterious (to me) Tammany Trace. [Named from the St. Tammany Parish...or County that I'm in.] Tammany Trace is a 31-mile bike and walking path that connects the three towns of Covington (staying in), Mandeville (above), and Abita Springs (tomorrow). I searched for the Covington Trailhead but had no luck. However, I WILL find it tomorrow!!!

After the Trailhead I saw the lake on the GPS and decided to drive to it. Lake Pontchartrain reminded me of Galveston. Love the breeze. Love the water. Love the sound of the waves crashing. Hate the color brown. :) The bridge in the background is the 2nd longest in the world!!! 24 miles long...

Then it was time for the swamp tour. :) I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. But the boats were big and comfortable and we saw a lot of wildlife...most alligators!






Where's [Waldo] the blue heron? Can you find it? Hint: In the middle...

The only other thing on the to-do list was North Shore Square shopping. I picked up a gift for my mom and aunt.
It was the evening that was my biggest hurdle, though. I...ate my first fancy dinner...alone. It was uplifting and a bit embarrassing but I DID IT! And it was great food. I could get used to all these people waiting on me... :D Jk
Tomorrow is going to be ACTION-PACKED! So stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment